Teacher to Student Ratio
Can your students handle the heat? Fire up your curriculum with a hand-on excursion to Canberra Glassworks.
A visit to the Glassworks will inspire your students to
- Engage in creative glass workshops.
- Experience hands-on sensory learning.
- Learn about the science of glassmaking.
- Explore the history of Australia’s capital within the historic Kingston Powerhouse.
The Glassworks connect to the design and technologies, visual art, history, and science components of the Australian Curriculum. Relevant links and details may be viewed on our website under each learning program.
Participating in our education program will answer questions such as:
- How does glass change from one material state to another?
- What temperature do the glass furnaces operate at? How does that compare to your home oven?
- How important is team work in the Hotshop?
Looking through the Glass tour
$12.50 per student • Years 2–12 • 45 minutes
Our unique site is viewed through the lens of the historic Kingston Powerhouse; a building of historic and cultural significance. Today repurposed as an important public building, the Glassworks is a leader in artistic innovation through the science of glass.
Hand on Glass—Tour & Tile
$35 per student • Years 2–12 • 90 minutes
Experience a hands-on tour of the Glassworks that enlivens the senses. Explore behind of the working facility, then cut, design and range glass to make your very own fused-glass tile.
Elements of Glass
$30 per student • Years 2–12 • 45 minutes
Investigate glass from a scientific perspective through a live Hotshop demonstration.
Cost variable • Years 8–12 • Up to 3 hours
Engage with our current exhibition and its themes, then design and creative a collaborative art working using glass.
Education programs can be booked Tuesday to Sunday, see our website for more details: canberraglassworks.com/visit/schools