The Big Issue Classroom
The Big Issue Classroom is a chance for school groups to gain first-hand insights into social issues such as homelessness and disadvantage. It is run by Australia’s leading social enterprise, The Big Issue, which develops solutions to help people experiencing homelessness and disadvantage positively change their lives. The Big Issue magazine has been sold on Australian streets since 1996, creating work for more than 7000 vendors and putting $33 million into the pockets of disadvantaged and homeless Australians.
More than 200,000 students have taken part in The Big Issue Classroom, which launched in Canberra in 2017. Include a workshop in a Civics and Citizenship tour to help students ask the big questions in our nation’s capital.
- Participate in activities that spark discussion about fairness and diversity, needs and wants, happiness and wellbeing.
- Be inspired by the story of someone who has faced disadvantage.
- Discuss the importance of living in a supportive and connected community.
- Break down stereotypes about people experiencing homelessness and disadvantage.
- Explore issues around social justice and sustainability.
- Be encouraged to take positive action in their own lives and communities.
Led by skilled facilitators, The Big Issue Classroom offers age-appropriate workshops for school students visiting Canberra. Workshops run for one hour and are held at a central location in Canberra or at student accommodation. Workshops can also be delivered via a user-friendly online video platform. The content of each workshop has been developed to meet the needs of different year groups:
Finding Belonging: Explorations of Disadvantage and Homelessness
Tailored for Years 5–6.
Discussions about Homelessness and Disadvantage
Tailored for Years 7–12.
Workshops are linked to the Australian Curriculum and are supported by follow-up materials for teachers and students. Every workshop booked provides a paid work opportunity to a guest speaker experiencing disadvantage.
Find further information and details about other workshops at thebigissue.org.au/our-programs/ education/
$350+GST Please note a 10% discount applies for bookings of three or more sessions