I want to
Recycling Discovery Hub
Education visits provide an interactive, learning experience and a chance to see what happens to recycling and waste after kerbside bins are collected.
There are two options for your visit.
- The Recycling Discovery Hub education visit - your group can come to the ACT’s Materials Recovery Facility where all our recycling is sorted. Visitors can see the workings of the facilities through a large observation window, experience working on the sorting line via a virtual reality experience, interact with a hands on recycling exhibition, learn what products recycled materials can make, and discuss recycling with facilitators. Duration: 45 minutes
This is open to all groups of 10 or more people, unless by special prior arrangement.
- The Recycling Discovery Hub and Resource Management Centre extension tour * – your group can extend its time at the hub and take a tour of the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre. Here, visitors view the landfill, transfer station, reuse facility, landfill gas and leachate ponds. Duration: 1 hour, 30 minutes.
* Note, the tour of the Resource Management Centre is by bus only. Groups arriving in cars are unable to do the extension option.
This is open to all groups of 10 or more people, who are coming in a bus, unless by special prior arrangement.
Visits are available Monday to Thursday, during the day and in the evening. Fridays may be available on request.
- Visits accommodate a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 25 attendees. (One group of 50 can book at one time if half undertake a tour Resource Management Centre and half visit the Recycling Discovery Hub and then swap.)
- Children must be supervised at all times.
- For safety reasons visits are not available for children under seven (under Year 2).
At the Recycling Discovery Hub visitors can explore what happens to the things they throw in the bin, investigate how the materials are sorted, discover what recycling becomes and identify actions they can take to avoid waste and recycle correctly.
Explore the science of sorting and what happens to waste and recycling beyond the bin. Uncover the broader story in one session incorporating:
- A presentation and interactive displays at the Recycling Discovery Hub to explore recycling from your kerbside bin to new products.
- A tour of the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre to view the landfill and associated facilities.
Interested in helping inspire the environmental leaders of the future?
We offer tailored sessions that appeal to both College and Tertiary level students including extended discussion about:
practical environmental land management of the landfill (leachate)
conversion of methane to electricity (renewable energy production at our sites)
ACT Government's waste recovery target of 90% in action
Optional: social enterprise and resource recovery by visiting the ACT's award winning Mattress Recycling Facility, Soft Landing.